SAFE OPERATIONS MEETING
Each and every day workers suffer shock when handling electrical tools and equipment. To protect workers against the hazards of electricity, teach them the basic facts about the causes of shock and death. One of the big problems in understanding the dangers of electrical shock is the mistaken belief that only high voltages kill. It's not the voltage that kills, but the amount of current that passes through the body. The condition and placement of the body have a lot to do with the chance of getting a shock and the severity of any resulting injury.
Water and electricity can be a fatal combination. Damp areas and metal objects can offer good shortcuts for electricity to reach the ground. If a worker's hands are sweaty, if socks and shoes are moist or damp, if the floor is wet, or if the worker is standing in a puddle of water, the moisture will allow more current to pass through the body. If work is to be done with metal objects or in damp areas, workers should recognize the hazards and take necessary precautions. These precautions include rubber gloves and boots, rubber mats, insulated tools, and rubber sheets to cover exposed metal.
Remembering a few tips can help avoid electrical accidents:
In wet, winter months, extra caution should be observed when working with electrical equipment or when working near grounded objects.
Use this attendance sign-in sheet: Sign-In Sheet